Sani Lodge Backpackers and self-catering cottages resort was created in 1992 by Russell and Simone to share their love of the wilderness; animals, birds, flowers, their fascination and respect for the diverse cultures of local communities and their desire to afford others the experience of a ‘ self-sufficiency lifestyle ‘ that is in harmony with the beautiful mountain environment.
27 years later, Russell and Simone are assisted with the running of their Best Practices Fair Trade Certified in Tourism Lodge by a team of locally recruited people, trained and committed to;
-fair and responsible tourism
-fair wages and working conditions
-fair purchasing and operations
-equitable distribution of benefits
-respect for human rights, culture and the environment.
“Our Lodge with its stunning location in the majestic mountains , bordering onto the Drakensberg World Heritage Site on the famous Sani Pass road and only 16km from the Lesotho border, provides the perfect base for a broad spectrum of travellers / tourists seeking adventure, environmental education, cultural, pony trekking, health and wellness activities “.
– School and University groups to undertake environmental studies
– Hiking groups wishing to set off on day, overnight or week-long hikes into the Wilderness from the Lodge doorstep. This includes the well known 5 day Giants Cup Trail.
– Trail runners who can explore the mountains independently on innumerable trails or participate in several organized annual Trail Running events
–Mountain bikers who have a plethora of fantastic rides on offer including the majestic Sani Pass and Lesotho, as well as several organized annual Mtn biking events
– Travelers seeking guided tours in the Drakensberg mountains and in Lesotho that offer overnighting in caves / shepherd huts, pony trekking, cultural engagement, hiking to the highest peak south of Kilimanjaro or to view splendid rock art sites; all these activities are offered by our tour company Drakensberg Adventures
– volunteers offering their skills to teach English to children at the local deep rural school
– volunteers seeking experiences on a working farm practicing organic methods of growing vegetables and making compost, livestock management of Jersey cows and laying chickens, and utilizing their skills for fun, ongoing projects
– Aspiring Yogi’s wishing to learn about or enhance their appreciation of yoga; classes offered by qualified yoga teacher Simone
– Aspiring artists keen on learning or practicing how to sketch or paint al fresco
-Those interested in a creative writing workshop
– Botanists and Zoologists
-Those seeking pure pampering indulgence ; range of massage therapy treatments on offer in the comfort of your room
– A base for Mindfulness practice
– None of the above – simply a desire to sunbathe by the pool, enjoy a sundowner with a splendid view, chat face to face with other travellers, indulge in all homecooked meals and our famous chocolate cake, revel in the friendly, laid back atmosphere that has always made Sani Lodge unique.